In this episode, author and actress Holly Robinson Peete talks about her family’s journey with autism. Holly became a fierce advocate for families like hers after her son R.J. was diagnosed with autism at the age of three.
Holly and R.J. recently collaborated on a picture book, Charlie Makes a Splash! It tells the story of a boy with autism who finds calm and joy playing in water. In the back of the book, Holly shares insights and resources that have helped her family navigate autism.
Holly is the co-founder of the HollyRod Foundation with her husband, former NFL quarterback Rodney Peete. They started the nonprofit in 1997, after Holly’s father, Matt Robinson (the original Gordon on Sesame Street), was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. The foundation provides help for families living with Parkinson’s and autism.
Holly is also the author of Same But Different and My Brother Charlie, which won an NAACP Image Award.
- Producer: Bridget Benjamin
- Associate producer: Constance Gibbs
- Sound engineer: Daniel Jordan
- Music composer: Lucas Elliot Eberl
- Celebrating AAPI Month With Authors Gita Varadarajan and Debbi Michiko Florence
- Alex Gino Talks About Melissa
- Aaron Blabey and The Bad Guys